January 5, 2015

Open-Face Breakfast Sandwich

We're continuing with the breakfast theme, branching from 2014 to 2015! It's like Back To The Future, only with chocolate and bread instead of Lea Thompson and Michael J. Fox.

Good times.

Before the recipe, though, and speaking of good times: I completed my first 2015 5k on the third! It was really fun, but I was so nervous. I've run eight 5ks so far, and a 10k, but this was my first 5k since I got sick and developed anemia last summer. I was completely and totally expecting to have a time around 40 min, when I can usually do about 29min, because my body has just been so out of training the past few months.

Buuuuuuuut!

31 minutes and 50 seconds!

It was nice to know that I was starting out the year with health in mind! I don't believe in New Years resolutions, because I figure we should aim to change our lives at any time and for true intrinsic motivation, but I know a lot of people who have resolved to be more healthy this year. The gyms are packed, produce sales are skyrocketing, and people in general are focusing a lot more on healthy recipes.

I figure it's always best to start with breakfast, then, because it's your first meal and kind of sets the tone for the day.


Doesn't this just scream breakfast? It looks like something you would get at a cute little B&B, right? (Side note: I've never been to a B&B because when I sleep in new places I tend to get rather paranoid about someone somehow managing to hear me sleeptalk, which actually tends to make me retreat into a corner and curl up in an attempt to quiet myself-- because my sleeptalking is honestly just so so bad. I used to wake my older brother up with it all the time, and I woke myself up once. But! If I did go to a B&B or if I owned a B&B this would totally be a menu item, am I right?)

The following is something that is easily to make, fast to whip up, and a very nice way to ease into healthy eating. I used to eat breakfast sandwiches all the time before I stopped eating eggs (and now I just use scrambled tofu instead) and I loved loved loved this recipe. This is great if you are just getting into being vegetarian, or are a vegetarian who eats eggs. It's a combination of lightly toasted and nutty whole-wheat bread, fresh spinach, and a perfectly-cooked egg (runny yolk of deliciousness included!). I love adding on some tangy goat cheese, because it totally completes it.

I actually feel kind of bad even calling this a recipe, because it is so simple. Toast bread, cook egg, layer. Seriously. That's it. It's one of those obnoxiously easy breakfasts that make it hard to excuse rushing out the door without some good sustenance in your belly. But I'll basically take any excuse to cook (give me an inch, and I'll stretch it a mile), and this is something simple to fulfill that desire. It's great for new cooks, too-- be they young or old.

Here's to a great 2015!


Open-Faced Breakfast Sandwich
Serves 1     

Ingredients:
  • 1 slice whole-wheat bread
  • Cooking Spray
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2c baby spinach
  • 3/4oz fresh goat cheese, flavored if wanted
Instructions:
  1. Toast bread. While bread is toasting, cook egg in a small pan coated with cooking spray (you can cook it any way you like, but I like over-easy). Place spinach on toasted bread, and top with egg and crumbled goat cheese. Devour!
Nutritional Information (varies depending on bread):
Sodium: 308mg
Total Fat: 11g
      Saturated: 5g
      Trans: 0g
Protein: 13g
Sugar:6g
Calories: 199

No comments:

Post a Comment