September 9, 2014

Spicy Sweet Potato, Corn, and Black Bean Salad

School is in session! Ring the bells (and maybe light the torches? Nah, just kidding-- I love my school!), bury your face in the textbooks, study study study! It's been a crazy time the past few weeks, but I'm finally enjoying some down time.


I had taken a break from running because of my anemia, but yesterday I ran 3.5 miles for the first time in months! It's such a wonderful feeling to be back in my running shoes (even if it is at 5:50 AM, because I overheat so easily that I have to run when it's forty degrees), and even though it's only a little progress, it is still progress. I'm really happy to not be so tired anymore-- particularly because it means I'm not sleeping for twelve hours each night. I know it sounds wonderful, but it's not fun to only be awake for so little of a time. Nothing gets done.

Speaking of nothing getting done: I've been slacking on cooking! A few posts ago I mentioned that I was living off of steel cut oats-- Yup, still doing that. Noosa yogurt, salad, and bananas as well. Plus plenty of nutella (because that should be it's own food group... in moderation, of course. I am a nutrition student, after all). But tonight I made something that is quick, easy, and delicious. Sounds like a commerial tagline, I know; but it really is.

This is a warm salad that combines sweet potatoes, corn, and black beans, then adds in cilantro for some zing and chili paste for a pleasant burn. If you don't like spicy, you can leave it out-- but it does add a whole other dimension for us who love spicy food! This is great as a side, because it is very hearty and filling. I also think that it would go really well tossed into wild rice, a salad, or even scrambled into tofu.

Spicy Sweet Potato, Corn, and Black Bean Salad 
Serves 4

Ingredients:
  • 1 large sweet potato, cubed into bite-sized pieces
  • 2t olive oil
  • 1 cup black beans
  • 1 cup corn
  • 3 sprigs cilantro
  • 1/4t salt
  • 1/4t pepper
  • 1t sambal oelek (chili paste)
Instructions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350F.
  2. Coat sweet potato in olive oil. Lay cubes in an even layer on a baking tray. Cook for 20-25 minutes, until tender.
  3. Toss together sweet potato, black beans, corn, cilantro, spices, and chili paste. Serve warm.
Nutrition Information:
Sodium: 106mg
Total Fat: 3g
     Saturated Fat: 0g
     Trans Fat: 0g
Sugar: 3g
Protein: 5g
Calories: 138

2 comments: