October 2, 2014

Vegetable, Potato, and Goat Cheese Bake




Colorado is weird, you guys.

The state I live in is like that weird friend who makes cat noises at passersby from the window of the bus and who licks their plate at the end of each year, and even though they're super strange you cant help but love them anyways. You know what I mean?

Like damn, I'm not one who normally talks a ton about the weather, but whenever I'm in Colorado I can't help and talk endlessly about the weather with everyone because it is so incredibly confusing. I woke up this morning and it was 32 degrees, and now it's about 70 and I'm dying in my long-sleeved pants and cardigan. 

Speaking of clothes, I've been trying to dress nicer? I feel like since I have the privilege of going to school I should make sure to look nice and professional most of the time; or, at the very least, take some time to put myself together and not just roll out of bed. I'm a fan of anyone dressing the way the want, so I fully support doing the above-- but for some reason, I've been really wanting to redo my wardrobe with all professional clothes. I just love the idea of looking really sincere in my desire to learn and interact with my professors in a very respectful way. 

And speaking of school (another segway!!) I have been so busy lately. I feel like I have been saying that for about two months straight, but it's completely and disgustingly accurate. I'm finding ways to cook during the weekends, but I'm also relying heavily on recipes from my old blog. I had a really good selection of vegetarian recipes on there (among the ones with meat-- which obviously will no longer be made by myself). I want to transfer a lot of them onto this one that way I can finally stop checking in so often to Michelle's Healthy Bites; as much as I love that blog, I would much rather run just one. 

Today, I'm taking a recipe that was really popular on my last blog: Vegetable, Potato, and Goat Cheese Bake. I'm pretty much in love with this. I started with cubes of potato, then mixed in tender summer squash, meaty mushrooms, and lots of other delectable vegetables such as onion and bell pepper. Then, I took a tip from a breakfast casserole my Aunt made me when my dad and I visited her: I added dried seaweed! I know it sounds weird, but it gives it a nice amount of salt and a little something extra (but for the shy or for those who don't have it, it is optional and will still taste yummy without it! But why not give it a try, right?) After baking it in the oven, I loaded some creamy herbed goat cheese on the top. It got all creamy and gooey and just mmmmmmm, CHEESE.

Can't go wrong with cheese.


Vegetable, Potato, and Goat Cheese Bake
Serves 6 Side Portions

Ingredients:
  • 1T olive oil
  • 1/2 red onion, diced
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 medium (16oz) russet potato, cut into small cubes
  • 1 medium zucchini, cut into medium cubes
  • 1 medium yellow squash, cut into medium cubes
  • 1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
  • 2 cups sliced mushrooms (white button)
  • 1 package frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed of liquid
  • 1/2tsp pepper
  • 1/4tsp salt
  • a pinch of dried seaweed (optional)
  • 2 oz herbed goat cheese
Instructions:
  1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
  2. Saute the onion in a large pan with the olive oil until beginning to turn tender (2 min). Add in garlic, and cook an additional 30 seconds. Add in potato, and cook (stirring occasionally) for 5 minutes. 
  3. Add the squashes, bell pepper, mushrooms, spinach, pepper, salt, and seaweed to the pan. Cook until beginning to turn tender, approximately 5 minutes. 
  4. Pour mixture into 9×13 baking dish. Bake 25 minutes or until potatoes are soft. During the last few minutes of baking, sprinkle the cheese over the potato mixture and bake until cheese melts.
Nutrition Information:
Sodium: 132mg
Total Fat: 3g
       Saturated: 2g
       Trans: 0g
Sugar: 3g
Protein: 7g
Calories: 176

2 comments:

  1. We will be making this one as soon as it cools down around here. Sounds great!
    AKS & UJJ

    ReplyDelete