September 3, 2014

Pesto Pasta Salad

I think you all can guess by now that I love pasta with pesto.

There is just something about pesto that is making me obsessed right now. I don't know if it has to do with the color, the taste (duh), or maybe even it being the last weeks of summer (eek! I don't want the nice weather to go away-- let's hope CO actually has a fall this year instead of skipping right into winter). But I'm loving it. In June I made the Pesto Pasta with Haricot Vers and Tomatoes, and I haven't had it in anything but sandwiches and spaghetti squash since then. That means months without pesto pasta! I had to remedy that ail somehow.


A house without pesto is no house at all.

Ok, maybe that was a bit dramatic. But c'mon. Pesto is delicious. I like making homemade using broccoli and basil (subtract some sodium in your daily count, add some iron into the mix, plus create a twist with a beautiful texture that isn't watery like some store-bought versions), but if you are in a rush then you can grab some from the store (high quality, mind you. Not every pesto is created equal!). Then throw a ton of stuff together with some ravioli and make pasta salad!

Ok?

Ok.

Seriously, though. I have a really simple equation for this dish. Pesto+Pasta+Whatever Leftover Veggies/Cheese/Anything You Have = Pure Delish. (Yes, I did just say "Delish." Because apparently it's hip now. I'm behind the trend.) My roommate and I looked in our fridge, looked at each other, shrugged, and threw this recipe together. It is so customizable, and you can make it into your favorite dish ever by combining all your favorite veggies and add-ons.

Example: pesto+pasta+arugula+zucchini+olives+mozzarella+tomato+cilantro= bright and fresh
                Pesto+pasta+kale+Parmesan= simple, spiced and salty
                Pesto+pasta+ mushrooms+corn+chiptole= wild and savory, with a burn!
Etc, etc.

The dish below combines cucumber, tomatoes, mozzarella, spring mix, and tofu. I personally prefer it chilled, but hot can also be done.

Pesto Pasta Salad
Serves 6

Ingredients:
  • 9 oz fresh cheese tortellini
  • 1/3c. pesto (homemade or store-bought)
  • 1 cucumber, diced
  • 10 oz cherry tomatoes, halved
  • 3 oz mozzarella cheese, cubed
  • 2c. packed spring mix, roughly chopped
  • 1/2c. diced tofu
  • 1t thyme
  • 1/2t pepper
  • 1/4t salt (if using homemade)
Instructions:
  1. Cook pasta according to manufacturer's instructions. Drain; let cool. Mix with pesto.
  2. Add in rest of the ingredients and mix well to combine. Serve chilled.
Nutrition Information:
Sodium: 703mg (less if you use homemade version)
Total Fat: 18g
     Saturated: 7g
     Mono: 3g

     Trans: 0g
Sugar: 4g
Protein: 23g
Calories: 498

No comments:

Post a Comment