June 1, 2014

Pesto Pasta with Haricot Vers and Tomatoes

It's been an awesome weekend so far. I'm still getting used to the summer heat of California after being in Colorado for so many months straight, and I'll admit that I've largely been staying inside as I adjust. Still, I've gotten the chance to go for a run and play some basketball (and by "play some basketball," I mean get the ball stuck on the roof of the local elementary school and have three kids retrieve it for us, like the old people we are). Yesterday, my Aunt and Uncle came over and we had a beautiful dinner of roasted vegetables with a zesty salad that my Aunt made.
 She also brought over some fresh basil which has been making my entire kitchen smell amazing (Thanks, Karen!). I couldn't resist making some Broccoli-Basil Pesto with it, simply because it is my favorite pesto of all time and it's ridiculously healthy. Tomatoes and green beans in the fridge? The muse hit, and I decided to throw everything together into a nice pasta dish.

Guys. This is so good. The tomatoes add some pop between each bite of tender green beans and hearty whole-wheat pasta. It's slightly peppery and has a touch of tang. I knew a girl Freshman year who always said, "A colorful plate is a healthy plate!" which certainly holds true for many things. The more color (aka variety) you have in a recipe as far as produce goes, the more changes you have for nutrients and health benefits. This pasta certainly holds up to that: you have the green from the iron-rich pasta, brown whole grains from the pasta, and bright red from the vitamin-rich cherry tomatoes. It's gorgeous. Another bonus: with the summer heat hitting, chilled pesto pasta is a simple, bright meal that won't make you sweat anymore than you already are (which, in California, is a lot). If you're in the mood for some hot pasta, that also works-- just don't do the last chilling step in the recipe.


Pesto Pasta with Haricot Vers and Tomatoes
Serves 8

Ingredients:
  • 16 oz whole wheat pasta of your choice (I used fettuccini)
  • 8 oz haricot vers (green beans), ends trimmed, halved diagonally
  • 1/2c. broccoli basil pesto
  • 1 (10.5oz) container cherry tomatoes, halved
  • 1/4tsp salt
  • 1/2tsp pepper
  • 1/4tsp cayenne pepper (optional)

Instructions:
  1. Boil water. Cook pasta according to package directions, adding in haricot vers when five minutes remain. Drain and let cool slightly.
  2. Toss with pesto and tomatoes. Sprinkle with spices. If serving cold, refrigerate for at least four hours or as long as overnight. Lasts well for five days.
Nutrition Information:
Sodium: 105mg
Total Fat: 5g 
      Saturated: 1g
      Mono: 2g
      Trans: 0g

Sugar: 3g
Protein: 8g
Cal: 257

No comments:

Post a Comment