May 20, 2014

Zucchini Chocolate Chip Muffins

I remember my high-school boyfriend. He was a decently sweet guy, given that it was high school and all of us were growing and had no real clue what the real world was like. He worked at this really fancy restaurant called The Cottage Place in Flagstaff, AZ, and so he thought he was total hot stuff. He used to bring me lunch every week which: awesome. Super good. One of the few things I miss because free food= free time and free happy tummy.

Sometimes we cooked together and it was always semi-stressful simply because I was positive he was judging me (which I'm sure, looking back, he wasn't). He was a good cook, but he didn't know everything (even if he thought he did).I remember that when I discovered the recipe I am about to show you, he was very doubtful. Like: eww, zucchini? In a muffin? And it was just like: bro, calm down, just try it.

(And yes, I do use "bro" on a daily basis. I'm a frat boy stuck in the body of a college girl.)

Anyways. People see "zucchini" and "muffin" and sometimes freak out. Brain explosion. Which, let's be honest, isn't healthy. So how about you do be healthy, and try out something new? Maybe you feel like moist, chocolate-studded muffins with hints of cinnamon and sweet brown sugar. Or maybe you just have a lot of zucchini that you need to use up. Either way, these muffins will do the job. It's a sweet muffin batter with oats tossed in and given a red-carpet makeover with dark chocolate chips. Zucchini keeps these muffins tender and moist, and I assure you that it does not make the muffins taste like vegetables. If you are trying to sneak some veggies into your kid's --or heck, even your-- diet, this is definitely a great way to ease into it. You will be packing in some whole grains and nutrients into a normally empty-calorie treat.
These muffins are so delish, I can barely contain my happiness about them. Honestly. Maybe it’s just summer fever or a long-lasting smugness from making muffins my ex-boyfriend liked even when he doubted me initially, BUT I would gladly swear by these muffins. The chocolate chips get all melty and make each bite sweet and smooth, while the touch of oats create a perfect texture.
P.S.
These make killer jumbo muffins too!

Zucchini Chocolate Chip Muffins
Adapted From AllRecipes
Makes 12 Regular-sized Muffins
Ingredients:
  • 1/4c. whole wheat flour
  • 1c. all-purpose flour
  • 1/4c. dry one-minute oats
  • 1tsp baking powder
  • 1/4tsp nutmeg
  • 1tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4tsp salt
  • 3/4c. sugar OR splenda
  • 1 cage-free egg, lightly beaten
  • 1/2c. no sugar added applesauce
  • 1/4c. light vanilla soy (or unsweetened almond milk+1/2tsp vanilla)
  • 1/3c. dark chocolate chips
  • 1c. shredded (grated) zucchini (just grate it like you would cheese, but de-seed them first)
Instructions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
  2. In a medium bowl, combine the flours, oats, baking powder, nutmeg, cinnamon, salt, and sugar.
  3. In a small bowl, combine the egg, applesauce, and soy. Pour that mixture into the dry ingredients, and mix just until wet (don't over mix!). Add in the zucchini, and mix until evenly distributed. Fold in chocolate chips.
  4. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the muffin comes out clean.
Nutrition Information (using Sugar):
Sodium: 96mg
Total Fat: 3g
       Saturated: 0g
       Trans: 0g
Sugar: 16g
Protein: 3g
Calories: 154

No comments:

Post a Comment