May 21, 2014

Tofu and Veggie Rice

I really used to not like tofu.

Turns out, I was eating it from places that didn't really know how to do it justice.

When you get good tofu -- like good tofu-- it's one of those eye-opening, "oh!" experiences. Almost like Brussel Sprouts. I used to hate those too, until my art teacher (who loved to cook) made the best recipe ever and I fell in love. The same thing happened with tofu for me. I had been failing to find any tofu I actually liked, but then I stepped into a Thai place back in Flagstaff about five years ago and had this fantastic dish of tofu and curry with rice. Instead of being mushy, the tofu was crisp and had a beautiful golden skin on the outside.

I figured I should learn how to do that. As my friend Spencer always says about tattoos, "Start small and work your way up." And you're probably thinking, Michelle, why are you even talking about this? Answer: reasons. Ok, I just wanted an excuse to mention tattoos. But! It does relate. When cooking a new ingredient, I figure the same concept applies. Start small (simple) and work your way up (complex). That's why the first recipe I did was this Tofu and Vegetable Rice. It's very simple, easy to put together, and definitely highlights each ingredient. Tofu is a fantastic ingredient because it is like a sponge in texture: it soaks up whatever flavors you let it. The marinade, which is a combination of sweet-spicy-just-a-touch-salty, permeates the tofu and the rice; plus, it compliments that natural texture of the vegetables. It looks pretty, tastes awesome, and is super healthy. Anyone else as excited for this as I am?

You should be.

Tofu and Vegetable Rice
Serves 4              Serving Size: about 1c.

Ingredients:
Marinade:
  • 2tbl freshly ground chile paste (Sambal oelek)
  • 2tbl hoisin
  • 1tbl honey (strict vegans: use maple syrup or agave)
  • 1tsp low sodium soy sauce
  • juice of one lemon
Rice:
  • 6 oz extra firm drained tofu, pressed of liquid, cut into cubes
  • 4oz bella mushrooms, cut into cubes
  • 1 red bell pepper, diced
  • 2 small summer squash (such as zucchini or yellow), cut into cubes
  • 1/2c. sliced green onions
  • 1c. fresh or frozen peas
  • 2c. cooked brown rice
Instructions:
  1. Whisk together the Marinade ingredients in a medium bowl. Add tofu, and toss to coat. Allow to sit twenty minutes.
  2. Meanwhile, preheat a large skillet coated with cooking spray over medium heat. Add the mushrooms, red bell pepper, and squash to the pan; cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until starting to turn tender. Add the green onions and tofu (with the marinade) to the pan; cook another 4 minutes on medium, stirring often. Add the peas to the vegetable-tofu mixture; cook 2 minutes or until warmed through.
  3. In a large bowl, combine the rice and the vegetable-tofu mixture, and toss well to combine (you want that marinade coating everything!) Serve with more green onions, if desired.
Nutrition Facts:
Sodium: 386mg
Total Fat: 4g
     Saturated: 1g
     Poly: 2g
     Mono: 1g

     Trans: 0g
Sugar: 11g
Protein: 12g
Calories: 254

1 comment: