May 20, 2014

Spiced Chai Custard



You know when you were a kid and you ran through the sprinklers because it was just so damn hot outside? That was a really common event in my childhood, along with things like water balloon fights and plenty of trips to the river about thirty miles away. Now, without a car or a sprinkler, I have to find different ways to beat the heat. When it's hot outside and the sun is shining, I like to bring come chilled foods into my menu. This can be done with soups or iced drinks, which are treats in themselves, but I also like to have chilled desserts. 

On top of that, I enjoy something that I can just mix together, throw in the oven, and then let sit in my fridge to be eaten whenever I desire. I'm so often outside enjoying the weather that I don't want to be couped up in the kitchen all day, tending to food. That's why I really cherish any recipe where all you need to do is mix, bake, chill. This brings me to today's recipe, which I absolutely love (I know I say that about every single recipe I post here, but this one... this one holds a special place in my heart during the hot summer months).

A delicate, creamy custard is an impressive sight. Regardless of the occasion, eating a custard that has light hints of chai and bright pops of raspberry is a delight. This custard, which is perfectly creamy and just sweet enough, uses the natural flavors of chai to elevate the hints of vanilla and almond undertones. This custard is a refreshing treat for any day. Not only that, but custards are actually super easy to make but somehow greatly impress people. Again, this stems from people just not having the resources or information to know better.
 
Spiced Chai Custard with Raspberries
Serves 4              Serving Size: 1 custard and 2tbl raspberries          
Ingredients:
  • 2c. unsweetened almond milk
  • 4 chai tea bags (i like to use two vanilla chai, and two spiced chai)
  • 4 large eggs, beaten
  • 2/3c. sugar OR splenda
  • 1/8tsp salt
  • 1/4tsp vanilla
  • Boiling water
  • 4 (6 to 8-oz) custard cups
  • 1/2c. fresh raspberries
Instructions:
  1. Heat the almond milk, either in a microwave or on the stove top. You want it just before boiling point. Transfer the milk to a bowl, and place in the tea bags. Let sit for 15 minutes to allow the tea to steep in the milk. Occasionally move the tea bags around in the bowl.
  2. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
  3. While tea is brewing, combine the eggs, sugar, vanilla, and salt in a medium bowl. Beat very well. Once the milk has absorbed the tea, take the tea bags out (squeeze them gently to make sure all the moisture gets back into the milk) and pour the milk into the egg mixture, beating as you do so.
  4. Take a large, rimmed baking dish that you will be able to fill with hot water and custard cups. Take each custard cup and ladle in a bit more than half a cup (I did 1/3c. plus 1/4c. for each one). Place them in the dish, and place the dish in the oven. Carefully pour in broiling water until it comes about halfway up the cups. Bake at 350 degrees for 40-80 minutes (I know this is a long time zone, but custard is all dependent on the oven. I suggest checking it at 40, then checking back every ten minutes or so). The custard may still look a tad liquidy on the top, but you can check the doneness by inserting a thin knife into the center of the custard and seeing if it comes out clean.
  5. Once done, remove the custards carefully from the oven. Take out of the water and let sit for 5 minutes; cover (so the plastic wrap touches the custard itself) and chill for 4 hours to overnight. When serving, garnish each custard with 2 tablespoons fresh raspberries. 
Nutrition Information (using Sugar):
Sodium: 210 mg
Total Fat: 6g
       Saturated: 1g
       Mono: 2g
       Poly: 1g

       Trans:02
Sugar: 34g
Protein: 6g
Calories: 217

No comments:

Post a Comment