November 20, 2014

Greek Orange Parfait



Sometimes, the simple things in life are the best.

When I was a kid, I would order a "cheeseburger, no burger, just the cheese and buns" at fast food places when we traveled. This led to a lot of confusion on the part of the makers, who more often than not ended up just giving me the cheeseburger (Which, of course, I wouldn't touch, meaning that my parents had to sneakily peel off the beef, pickles, or whatever else the joint put on there before I could see it). But I loved that "no-burger" burger, because it was simple. The cheese and the bun were like perfect partners, each distinct and flawless (at least, to my little kid mind!).

Around times like this, with Thanksgiving and the holidays coming up, I'm taken back to the idea of appreciating simple things. I feel like we all lead such busy lives that the little things sometimes get overlooked and forgotten. The snow (even if I complain about it here in CO!). How amazing is the snow, right? Or warm socks after a cold walk, a sharpened colored pencil, a letter in the mail. The fact that I have a roof over my head, the opportunity for an education, and a family that loves me are such simple things, but so meaningful. I am so very blessed. And so very privileged. 
 
I tried to go along with the mood of simplicity today, just because it seems fitting for the post. I like simple things, and cooking isn't excluded from that. This is a super easy "recipe"-- if you can even call it that. All you need is your favorite nonfat Greek yogurt and a Cara-Cara orange (which have a darker interior; other oranges would also work). Not only that, but it is much healthier and lacking the saturated fat and empty calories of my "no-burger" burger days.

The bright, natural sweetness of the orange pairs wonderfully with creamy, slightly tangy Greek yogurt in this parfait. I used 8oz nonfat vanilla Greek yogurt and cut up pieces of a whole Cara-cara orange. I threw on a totally optional touch of cinnamon, too. Since all you do is just layer the yogurt with the orange segments, I see no need for directions in this recipe (and, coincidentally, the wide variability in the nutritional information for different yogurt brands means that any nutritional information provided would probably be unrepresentative). Instead, just throw this guy together and enjoy the wonderful flavors of simplicity, put into a tiny little parfait cup. 

No comments:

Post a Comment