December 7, 2014

Arugula, Goat Cheese, and Apple Salad


I don't know about you guys, but my Thanksgiving was full of family and food, then more family and food, and then more family. With some food.

I had a blast. The past three years, I've gone over to my Aunt and Uncle's for a kind of pre-Thanksgiving Thanksgiving meal. I usually see them on other breaks, as well, and the company is fantastic. Not to mention the food. Because do NOT, and I repeat do NOT, get me started on the pure deliciousness that graces their kitchen and dining room table. I'm talking homemade pie, cornbread stuffing, roasted vegetables, and everything else my little vegetarian heart desires.

But! Whenever I visit my Aunt and Uncle in the Bay Area, there is a recipe that comes to mind. When I was younger, I went to California over Spring break with my dad, and we had the chance to go and visit my them for dinner and some delicious cheese. While sharing stories and memories around the dinner table, my Aunt brought out one of the most delicious salads I have ever tasted. Creamy goat cheese, tangy and complex lemon vinaigrette, crisp apples, and bold arugula... 

UGH. SO GOOD.


When I returned back to home, I kept craving that salad. I couldn't stop thinking about it, about how the flavors had blended perfectly together to create a bright, refreshing, and somehow decadent salad. How many people use that word when describing salad

See, I told you that ya shouldn't have gotten me started on the food.


Arugula, Goat Cheese, and Apple Salad

Serves 2  



Ingredients:

  • 4c. baby arugula, washed and patted dry*
  • 2oz crumbled goat cheese
  • 1 medium Gala or Fuji apple, cut into large bite-sized cubes
  • 1.5 tbl olive oil
  • 3tbl fresh lemon juice
  • 1/2tsp Dijon mustard
  • 1/2tsp sugar
  • salt and pepper (to taste)


Instructions:

  1. Toss together the baby arugula, goat cheese, and apples. 
  2. To prepare the dressing, whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, Dijon, sugar, and spices to taste. Let sit on the counter for about 10 minutes to let the flavors mingle and develop. Season as needed. 
Nutrition Information:
Sodium: 145mg
Total Fat: 16g
      Saturated: 6g
      Monounsaturated:9g

      Trans: 0g
Sugar: 12g
Protein: 7g
Calories: 230

1 comment:

  1. What a great article! Thanks for the memories. See you soon?

    AKS & UJJ

    ReplyDelete