October 26, 2014

Tofu Noodle Soup with Ginger and Scallions


I've caught the cold that's going around!

I'm such a Type A personality that having a cold drives me insane. I rarely get sick, and when I do it tends to be the every-waking-hour-is-miserable-so-I'll-sleep-for-twenty-of-them kind of sick. That lack of productivity drives me crazy, because I always like to be working on things. Instead, I sleep. All. The. Time. Which leads to some weird dreams, for sure, but also means that I can't study for the two tests I have next week or write that five page essay for SOC333 Gender in Society...

Eeep!

What I can do, though, is throw some broth noodles, tofu, and ginger into a pot and make some soup. I really thrive on simple recipes when I'm sick because a) as stated, I'm a hot mess and b)eating yogurt and oatmeal for every meal gets real boring, real fast. Strong flavors tend to be best when you have something like a cold, so I usually have a lot of ginger or peppermint (or, let's be honest, Nutella, because that stuff is so sweet and hits every single one of my cravings when I am sick).  This soup has ginger and a mild vegetable broth base, and it feels so good on your throat if you're sick. To make sure that nutritional needs are still met, I used no-sodium vegetable broth and added in some tofu to get a decent amount of protein and a touch of iron.

Plus, it has noddles. Who doesn't love noodles?


Tofu Noodle Soup with Ginger and Scallions
Serves 2             Serving Size: about 2c. soup or so
 
Ingredients:
  • 4c. vegetable broth, no salt added
  • 3oz whole grain linguini
  • 1 inch fresh ginger, peeled and cut into 4 pieces
  • 3/4c. extra firm cubed tofu (about 5oz pressed tofu)
  • 2/3c. sliced scallions (green onions)
  • 1/8tsp pepper
  • 1/8tsp garlic powder
Instructions:
  1. Bring the broth to a boil in a medium pot. 
  2. Add in the linguini, ginger, and tofu, and cook for as long as pasta takes (mine took 8 minutes). When the pasta is about two minutes from being done, add in the scallions, pepper, and garlic powder.
  3. Remove from heat and allow to sit for 5 minutes (can also sit overnight-- delish!). Remove ginger pieces, and ladle soup into two bowls. Enjoy! 
Nutrition Information:
Sodium: 72mg
Total Fat: 6g
     Saturated: 1g
     Trans: 0g
Sugar: 4g
Protein: 15g
Calories: 270

No comments:

Post a Comment